Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's alive.




Well, I was looking forward to today all week as my plan was to start it up and drive it. I began with the fuel tank. It was in worse shape than I imagined. I will be ordering a new tank as this one is rusted bad inside and out. I patched a hole in the tank first thing and ground all the rust off the tank and skid plate. Once it was all repaired and painted I reinstalled it. I flushed out all the fuel lines and intalled new filters. Other than the fuel tank I had to finish mounting the clutch rod and the rest of the mechanism underneath. I wasn't satisfied that the distributor was installed correctly so I read my book and decided to turn it 1/2 turn and moved all the plug wires. (Good decision as it all worked.) Topped off the antifreeze checked everything over one more time and gave it a go. I had Becki turn the key, but we had minimal success as it only ran on the gas I was pouring in the carburator. I bought a new fuel pump and tried it again . BINGO it started and ran perfect. At 3:54 pm I had a smile on my face. Really sounded nice and smooth. I decided to finish a little project on the front disc brakes before the first test drive. I took it out for a short trip around the neighborhood and it started raining so I put it up for the day and cleaned the garage, put away all the tools and installed the passenger seat. Now I'm ready to detail the interior and work on other items as I have time. Im excited about taking it out and about. It really scoots around and is fun to drive! Attached are a few pictures of the first outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment